Onwards and Upwards!
In a recent press release (view here), the accelerating growth and performance of the Indian Patent Office (hereinafter referred to as the IPO) was highlighted. A brief of said press release is as below:
The IPO has emphasized on digital means in its functioning and operations.
- Every application is now processed online from start to finish;
- Hearings are conducted digitally;
- Parties are not required to travel to the Patent offices now.
Simplified procedure, growing innovation
- Processes have been simplified and streamlined including new timelines for disposal and shift to digital mode to promote ease of filing and obtaining services;
- Special care is being given to expedite examination of patents filed especially for applications filed by Startups, Women Entrepreneurs etc. While assessing impact of measures taken, it is noted that E-filing has increased from 30 % to more than 95%;
- Fees for Start-ups, MSMEs, women entrepreneurs reduced by 80%
Rapid increase in grants
These developments have reflected positively in the improvement of India’s ranking in the Innovation Index. India has climbed 33 notches from 81st position in 2015-16 to 48th in 2020.